We at Robotics @ Maryland are looking for students to join our team.
What: Information session
When: Wednesday, Sept. 22 at 5:30 p.m.
Where: A.V. Williams room 2460
As the university's robotics club, we create unmanned vehicles both for competitions and for indoor and outdoor navigation. Motion planning, communication, vision and sensing are a few of the software topics we work on, along with electronics and mechanical structures.
We're having an open house [there will be food] on Wednesday for anyone who wants to learn about the club and our ground vehicles. It's in A.V. Williams room 2460 starting at 5:30 p.m. You're also invited to attend our regular meetings: twice a week, on Mondays and Wednesdays at 5:00 p.m. in A.V. Williams room 1205.
No robotics experience is required, but software or electronics development skills will be very helpful.
R@M is off to a busy start of the semester, with several events occurring in the next six weeks:
- Maryland Robotics Day (Sept. 10), when students and researchers show off their robotics work. You'll find R@M in A.V. Williams building room 2158 and in the courtyard at the Computer Science Instructional Center.
- First Look Fair (Sept. 15-16), the annual student organization fair, will be held on McKeldin Mall on Sept. 15 and 16 at 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. R@M will have all of its robots on display.
- R@M information sessions will introduce new and prospective members to the club shortly after the First Look Fair. Watch this space and the announcement/AGV mailing lists for details.
- UMD's third Autonomous Robot Speedway Competition is set for Oct. 16. R@M will be entering an improved version of the Raphael autonomous vehicle in the competition, and we hope to enter a new, faster vehicle, too.
We have chosen initial meeting schedules for both teams. R@M will be following these schedules through the First Look Fair, after which we might make adjustments.
- Ground vehicle team: Monday at 5, Wednesday at 5
- Underwater vehicle team: Tuesday at 6:30, Thursday at 6:30